Ankoku-ji (Ankoku Temple)
Temples and shrines
Ankoku-ji (Ankoku Temple) is a temple belonging to the Myoushin-ji (Myoushin Temple) School of the Rinzai Sect, and is located in Samukawa-cho, Shuri, Naha City, Okinawa.
- 903-0826 1-2 Samukawa-cho Shuri Naha Okinawa
- Business hours
- 9:00 - 18:00
- Close day
- Open all year.
- Varies, depending on the content.
- Parking is available.
- Access information
- A 4-minute walk from the Shurijo-mae bus stop.
- Academic information
- The sango (honorific mountain name prefixed to a temple's name) of Ankoku-ji (Ankoku Temple) is Taiheizan; and as a Zen temple, it was built by King Sho Taikyu (reigning from 1454 to 1460) in the Keitai Era (1450-1457). The founder is Chizan Shuyou (his years of birth and death are unknown). Ankoku Temple was originally built in Kubagawa-cho, Shuri, Naha City, but later moved to the current location in the 13th year of the Kochi Era (1674). It was destroyed, and the monk was killed during the Battle of Okinawa, but the reconstruction took place after the war and Ankoku Temple has continued on to present day.