Every year, river flooding results in major damage, during heavy rains. Because of the congested residential houses around the Asato River, conducting construction to expand the width of the river has been difficult. The dam was made above the stream, in order to control flooding and maintain the function of running water. It was completed in 2000. Hiji Bridge, an arch-style bridge made of Ryukyu limestone, constructed in the 17th century, is a tangible cultural property designated by Okinawa Prefecture.
- 900-0071 4-553-2 Hantagawa Naha Okinawa Kinjo Dam Management Office
- Business hours
- Open 9:00 - 17:00
Exhibition hall Closed December 29 - January 3
- Close day
- Free (Exhibition room also free)
- Parking is available across the street.
- Access information
- Take the "Yui rail" at Naha Airport and get off at Shuri station. About a 50 minute walk. By bus take the (#4, or #15) and get off at Kinjo 4 chome bus stop. A 5-minute walk away.
- Academic information
- It is a stone bridge located on the way to Shikina garden from Uchaya palace in Sakiyama-cho, Shuri. The bridge and the connected road are made of Ryukyu limestones. It is a beautiful and impressive 3-step arch-style bridge. It was named after the well “Hijiga” nearby.
- Naha City Cultural Property (Naha City Board of Education)