The facility established for the envoys from China.
- 900-0034 26-1 Higashimachi Naha Okinawa
- Business hours
- Nothing in particular
- Close day
- Nothing in particular
- Access information
- A 4-minute walk from the monorail Asahibashi station.
- Academic information
- Tenshikan was used to lodge envoys from China During the Ryukyu Dynasties. It was generally referred to as the Kuwanya. When exactly it was constructed is unknown, but it was recognized at the beginning of the 16th century. Usually, 400-500 full-time and temporary convoys stayed here for half of the year. They mourned (Ron-sai) for the late king at Sougen-ji (Sougen temple) and, celebrated (Sappou), the coronation of the new king, at Shuri castle; that ceremony was the biggest event in the lifetime of the king. When the facility was not being used to lodge the envoys, part of the building was used as the sugar administration office (Satou-za). After Okinawa prefecture was established, in 1896, it became the Naha Ward Office; a new building was built in 1917, but it was destroyed during an air raid on October 10, 1944, a prelude to the Battle of Okinawa.
■Shimonutinpi (The Guardian of Safe Voyage)
A mausoleum holding Tenpi (Maso), the guardian of safe voyages. Today, just only a stone gate remains; the mausoleum was established right before the Kaminutinpi in Eiraku period (1403-1424). It is thought to have been brought by 36 immigrants (bin-jin) from China. (Those immigrants were known as Bin-jin, consisting of 36 families.) After the clan system was abolished, in June 1880, this site and Naha-Satonusho ( located next to the mausoleum) became the Okinawa Elementary Teaching School. (Later, it became the Okinawa Prefectural Teaching School) All josses (celestial statues) were moved to Simonutinpi. In January 1886, after the teaching school was moved to Shuri, this site became Naha Postal Office.
■Naha Satonushi Office (A liaison office for international relations of the Ryukyu Kingdom.)
These are the remains of an administrative office of Shuri Royal government. The office dealt with Naha-yumachi's administration, negotiated with the Satsuma clan governmental office, and managed administrative work for the trading ships (Tou-sen), Galley (Kai-sen) and Tabiyaku (person who relocated by governmental duty). The chief of the office was Naha-Satonushi (high ranked royal servant). The subordinates were Ufu-Hissha (Chief writer), Wachi-hissha (co-writer). Naha-satonushi managed the town and port of Naha in the Oyamise (like a city hall) and, Omonogusuku-shoku（Governor) in old Ryukyu times. The port was an especially important part of international relations. The basic function of the office did not change in later centuries; only high ranked nobles (or Samurai class) were assigned to the position. This position was an elite course for servants who belonged to the Royal government.
- Naha City Museum of History