This is Okinawa’s premier natural history museum (which was moved from the old site in Shuri and renewed) combined with an art museum. The pure white wall of the building that extends 4 stories above ground and 1 story under ground suggests the shape of a castle from the Ryukyu dynasty. In the natural history museum, Okinawa’s nature, history and culture are clearly and simply explained from the perspective of 「Oceanic」and 「Archipelago」. There are 5 categories of exhibition rooms : natural history, archaeology, arts and handcrafts, anthropology and an outdoor exhibition . The art museum also exhibits works of foreign artists, in addition to Okinawan artists and Okinawa related art-works. These include paintings, sculptures, architecture, art crafts, calligraphy, literature, music, and folkdances are often performed here. There is also a shop, a café, a hands-on experience room and a room for special exhibitions. Visitors can enjoy touring the exhibitions with museum volunteers who have great knowledge of the museum.
- 900-0006 3-1-1 Omoromachi Naha Okinawa
- Business hours
- 9:00 ～ 18:00 Sunday ～ Thursday
Admission until 17:30
9:00 ～ 20:00 Friday and Saturday
Admission until 19:30
- Close day
- Monday (if a holiday falls on Monday, Tuesday is closed) The New Year Holidays (December 29th ～ 31st)
(General) 410 yen
High school, College students 260 yen
Elementary, Junior high school students (Outside Okinawa) 150 yen
(General) 310 yen
High school, College students 210 yen
Elementary, Junior high school students (Outside Okinawa) 100 yen
Elementary, and Junior high school students (Okinawa prefecture), 70 and over who are physically challenged and their assistants with an ID are free for both museums.
- 140 car parking spaces are available for both museums.
- Access information
- Take the 「Yui Rail」from the Naha Airport and get off at Omoromachi station. A 10-minute walk. For buses (#3,#7,#10) get off at the Kenritsu Hakubutsukan-Mae bus stop.
- エレベーター 車イス駐車場 車イス用トイレ スロープ 車イス貸出 授乳室