Jigen-in Temple is located in Yamagawa-cho, Shuri, Naha City, Okinawa, and belongs to the Myoushinji-Temple School of the Rinzai Sect, commonly called “Shuri Kannon Temple.”
- 903-0825 3-1 Yamagawa Shuri Naha Okinawa
- Business hours
- Main Hall worship time
9:00 - 18:00
- Close day
- Nothing in particular.
- Parking is available.
- Access information
- About a 15-minute walk from the Yui Rail Shiritsu Byoin-mae Station.
- Academic information
- The Ayajo Ufumichi (Ayajo Great Road) stretches westward from Shurei-mon (Shurei Gate), the entrance way to Shuri Castle. Jigen-in Temple is located on the intersection between the current Route 50 and Route 29. Its sango (honorific mountain name prefixed to a temple) is Banzairyo and it was built in the 45th year of the Banreki Era (1617) together with Kannon Temple, under the founder Tokuan. After the annexation of the Ryukyu's (Assimilation of Okinawa by Japan), Jigen-in Temple ceased to be a temple. Then, Kannon Temple took over the name of Jigen-in Temple. Even though it was destroyed during the Battle of Okinawa, Kannon Temple was reconstructed soon after the war and has continued to be part of the community even today.